Chapter 1: Introduction to Operating System
- Definition of Operating System.
- Evolution of operating systems – simple batch systems, multi-programmed batch systems, time sharing systems.
- Functions of an operating system
- Characteristics of Operating System
- Single user and multi-user operating systems
- Open-source and closed-source operating systems.
Important Questions with their Answers of “Introduction to operating system”
Chapter 2: Process Overview
- Definition of process, process states, process life cycle,
- Process Control Block (PCB),
- Process Scheduling – Scheduling queues,
- Schedulers (short term, medium term and long term).
- Context Switch.
Important Questions with their Answers of “Process Overview”
Chapter 3: CPU Scheduling
- CPU Scheduler,
- Preemptive and non-preemptive scheduling.
- Scheduling criteria – CPU utilization, Throughput, Turnaround time, Waiting time, Response time.
- Scheduling Algorithms: First-Come-First-Serve, Shortest-Job-First, Priority Scheduling, Round-Robin.
Important Questions with their Answers of “CPU Scheduling”
- MCQs and Fill in blanks
- Short term Questions
- Long Term Questions