Operating System(OS) is the system software which manages user applications and their interaction with the computer hardware. An operating system is software that allows a user to run other applications on a computing device.
In other words, Operating System is the system software which provides the interface between the users application and the computer hardware and controls and manages the overall resources of computer.
Objectives of Operating System
- Making a computer system convenient to use in an efficient manner
- To hide the details of the hardware resources from the users
- To provide users a convenient interface to use the computer system.
- To act as an intermediary between the hardware and its users and making it easier for the users to access and use other resources.
- Manage the resources of a computer system.
- keep track of who is using which resource, granting resource requests, according for resource using and mediating conflicting requests from different programs and users.
- The efficient and fair sharing of resources among users and programs.